Guidelines for Selecting Emerging Nurse Leaders to the PONL Board
PONL membership voted to approve revised bylaws as proposed by the PONL Board in October 2016. The bylaws revision introduced five new board seats for emerging nurse leaders. An emerging leader is defined as one with less than five years of leadership experience. Each of the five PONL regions will select one or more new leaders who fit this category and propose them to the full PONL Board for appointment consideration. Appointed emerging nurse leaders will be voting members of the PONL Board of Directors and serve two-year terms.
- Regions will solicit emerging leaders by polling their membership, accepting nominations from members, etc. The method for identifying potential candidates for their board seat will be determined by each region.
- Potential candidates must be:
- A PONL member
- In a leadership role and have less than five years of leadership experience
- Understand that being a PONL Board member is a serious professional commitment; calls are held monthly and additional committee assignments and duties are part of the role during the two-year term of office.
- Regional Leaders are responsible for vetting potential candidates and for providing them with the Emerging Nurse Leader Board Member Nominee Data Form, which can be found on the PONL website at www.ponl.net. Once regional leadership has reviewed the completed Nominee Data Form and endorses the candidate, the completed form should be forwarded to PONL Executive Director, Marion Burns Tuck at email@example.com. Forms received directly by Marion will be sent to appropriate regional leaders for review.
- Completed forms received by Marion will be distributed to all PONL Board members. Candidates will be presented for appointment consideration to the full Board by their regional leaders on a Board call at a date to be determined. Appointment of regional emerging nurse leaders will be made on that call and their term of office will begin soon after, at a time to be determined. Regions can propose candidates at any time.
Nominate an Emerging Nurse Leader
Emerging Nurse Leader Board Member Nominee Data Form